I’ve managed to get a provisional news over UUCP setup configured on B4GATE, and will be taking this live very soon.
Initially we will only offer UUHECNET internal groups, at the moment I am suggesting the following topics:
- uuhec.admin General admin issues, eventually gated to and from this mailing list
- uuhec.hardware Discussion re: retro hardware
- uuhec.uucp General discussion about UUCP
- uuhec.dec Discussion about DEC hardware
- uuhec.vms OpenVMS forum
- uuhec.unix UNIX/Linux etc forum
- uuhec.waffle Waffle BBS discussion
- uuhec.random Random banter
- uuhec.test Test area for people setting up systems
I am open to suggestions about more topics, drop me a message if you want a feed set up.
As of about 2100 BST last night, we have officially launched ourselves as UUHEC.NET.
Here’s a copy of the announcement on the HECnet mailing list that kicked the whole thing off:
From: Sampsa Laine
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 20:52:10 +0100
Subject: Announcement: We've rolled out a retro UUCP network, UUHEC.net
Whilst not strictly HECnet related, I figured as this audience is
likely to be full of people who enjoy tinkering with various bits of
retro tech stuff and so I thought I'd let you know that we've rolled
out a small UUCP "network" between myself, Steve and Fred.
It runs over TCP links between our sites, mainly running Taylor UUCP,
however one of my hosts runs a 1992 bit of BBS software called Waffle
Let me know if anyone wants to join in, it's a giggle, really*. I'll
even route real internet mail for interested parties** - we have
registered the UUHEC.net domain for this purpose.
* Seriously, check out the crazy Waffle BBS software by logging into
CHIMPY as the user B4BBS and then log on as WAFFLE at B4BBS. It's
default messages keep cracking me up, random Zippy the Pinhead quotes
all over the place.
** Within reason.